View Single Post
Old 05-09-20, 08:50 PM
Edward1066

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, 1990 Specialized Hardrock Sport/X-tracycle conversion, Surly Steamroller, 1995 Specialized Allez Sport, Early 90's VanTuyl TT bike, Flying Pigeon PA-06

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by BassistBiker
Hey all,

I have a question for those who commute frequently, or just put lots of miles on in general.

I'm trying to get back into shape, and as such I've been riding my bike to work and home (about 16 miles round trip).

First off, a little about me, 48 years young and about 6' and about 250 (260ish with backpack/gear).

I'm riding a Salsa Journeyman, and let me say I love my bike, and aside from the saddle, I've got my fit pretty dialed in (I think).

Stock saddle was a WTB Volt...terrible saddle IMHO, I rode it for a while, but ultimately it was not...comfy.

So based on a LOT of internet research, I switched to a Brooks B17 (aged), and now I've given it about 500 miles, and MANY different adjustments (currently set just slightly nose high), and to be perfectly honest, the pain from this saddle is nearly unbearable, if I ride 2 consecutive days, so basically about 32 miles, I have so much perineum pain that I have to take a few day break...I understand that a leather saddle has some break in period, but it's gotten to the point that I don't even want to ride...I really want to love this Brooks, but...

So, all that said, what are my options? Should I be looking at another saddle? Is there an adjustment/angle that I haven't thought of? Riser stem to put me in a slightly more upright position?

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance for any suggestions or insights.
With your description of symptoms, my first suggestion would be to keep the saddle angle where you've got it. Brooks B-17's are optimal at 3-5 degrees up in the nose. Stops you from constantly sliding forward. That being said, it sounds like you need to move your saddle forward as far as possible. You might even consider a Thomson 0 degree seatpost, Brooks have slightly shorter rails, so the new seatpost may be the only way to adjust to where you need to be. Just a thought. Good luck.
Likes For Edward1066: