View Single Post
Old 05-10-20, 12:11 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 701 Post(s)
Liked 667 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by ramzilla
The thing you have to remember is that you can buy a brand new bike from a respectable local bike store for around $400 that will outperform most vintage bikes. All day long. So....................., the only vintage bikes that are going to get any traction in the marketplace are high end bikes priced way below $400. JMHO. Be good. Have fun.
The "newest" bike I have dates from the early 1980's. I've never ridden anything beyond that date so I have no idea how modern bikes "perform" so I'll take your word for it.

The question I have is, will these modern bikes in the sub $400.00 range still be serviceable 30 or 40 years from now like vintage bikes are today?.

One can find neglected 10 speed bikes from the 1970's or 80's and with some elbow grease, get them up and running. With a little more effort, they can even be finely tuned to be great "performers".