View Single Post
Old 05-11-20, 10:24 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Originally Posted by sdowen
It’s harder is Canada where US shipments are being slowed. Only the shorter Abus lock has been easily available without paying over the top prices to get the 300 mm lock.

I did get a Foldy Lock for the 2nd lock. The quality of the Foldy lock is on par with the Abus 6000 folding lock.

I have the New York Standard. It’s heavier than I would like, it’s better than not having a high quality lock.

The Trek FX3 has 100 mm front and a 135 mm rear. I’m guessing I would have to cut down the Pitlocks with a hacksaw to get them to fit.
Ahhh you are in Canada home of Letterkenny and Trailer Park Boys can't complain about that two excellent shows, to be fair. I am unsure of the Canadian distribution other than QBP does exist in Canada.

The quality of the Foldy is probably not all that close. Looks maybe but internals probably not. Most companies have had issues with their folding locks being secure because they don't know what ABUS does and they haven't been able to figure it out. A Kryptonite rep for instance said their version are low security because you cannot make it high security and I said explain the 6500 from ABUS and he moved on quickly to talk about lights.

The problem is when you try to copy something you can only get so far unless you are a sleazy company that literally just rips off the entire design but in that case you would have to have worked at ABUS and seen their process and copied that exactly and you would be in legal trouble for that. Locks are more than just looks it is the tempering and hardening and quality of steel and the testing you do to ensure it will last. A lot of lock companies are there to get a sticker and so long as the lock barely eeks by for that sticker or rating from some independent testing they are happy, a lock should exceed those tests and should be made to even higher standards.

I don't think you need to cut down pitlocks though it is possible I haven't took an in depth look at them in a while because my needs changed and never ended up getting them.