View Single Post
Old 05-13-20, 10:05 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Wasn't it you who said something to the effect of 'we sold 10 Expeditions and 5 Miyata 1000s to 1 Trek 720?'
Maybe I said something like that. Depends on the time period. By the time the Expedition came out, we were mostly selling Rockhoppers and Stumpjumpers really. The Expedition was a lower price point bike than the others, and got a little coolness boost for being very slightly mountain bikey. So because of those two things it was the bigger selling bike, but not really by that much. If I said that I was exaggerating. I can't really remember the retail prices anymore, but the Sequoia I believe cost at least a couple hundred more than the Expedition. (??) If anyone has more accurate recollections I'd love to hear them.

I tend to say a lot of dumb things.

Wouldn't you consider the Sequioa more 'sport touring' with the short(er) wheelbase, Superbe side pulls and more race oriented components with a triple?
Not 'sport touring', it was "performance touring". Yeah, you could say it was a sport touring bike, sort of. IMO it was in fact a real full touring bike, but it seemed to be targeted at weekend warriors. The front end IIRC was 72º, chainstays were like 44 or 45. It had a triple obviously, and 3 bottle braze ons. That 3rd bottle is usually meant for stove fuel and really only required for full touring bikes.Yeah, it had (mid reach) side pulls, but that was not that long after side pulls on a touring bike were normal, as weird as that sounds now. You could have done loaded touring on it, but the people that bought them tended to be sport touring types that wanted a nice comfortable road bike with a triple. People who actually planned to go bike camping went for the Treks...