Old 05-13-20, 03:11 PM
jrhoneOC

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Chisel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Seems pretty consistent with other bikes at the same price. It's heading into trail bike territory from its former entry-level-XC placement. But it still doesn't have a dropper. Seeing 12 speed on a QR135 frame is pretty strange, makes me wonder if it's a typo. Same with the 100xQR axle on the fork.

Since you seem really happy with mountain biking and want to stick with it, maybe you could consider something nicer that has much better stuff all around and not just marginal improvements. Cartridge hubs, dropper, stouter hardware. You could even consider full suspension though that's a larger step in price.

But upgrading is not a goal in itself, you want to be fixing some problem you think you have. It does not have to be a big change. 11-42 has been enough for my riding, do you need the extra step lower? 9 speed chain is (in theory) stronger and (definitely) cheaper than 12 speed, and the big cassettes are heavy. You can use a conversion kit from Stan's and get tubeless, and when your original tires wear out is a good time to get started.

Thanks Lefty...I put a Specialized Command Post Dropper on my current Rockhopper so if I got a new bike, I would swap it over. 11-42 is mostly good..there is one really section that gets me every time and maybe having that 50 will help me get up that without stopping...or stopping less. But if thats all I want is a big gear...that Microshift Advent X gets me a 48..I get a 1x10 and its cheaper and lighter than the 1x12 stuff.

The QR and 12 speed stuff is because the SRAM SX Eagle is designed to be a cheap way to get to 12 speeds. Its designed to work with the non boost stuff and the QR seems like a money save. I have read bad things about the debility and the reliability of the SRAM SX...although the Groupset is also on $2k hardtails. I'd be kinda pissed if I dropped $2k on a hardtail and had an unreliable and dodgy drivetrain. The good news is its compatible with all the Eagle stuff so when something fails you can replace it with GX stuff. Not like I need to do anything quick., but I am leaning towards upgrading my bike to the 1x10 and get the 48 gear and then riding it for a bit more.