View Single Post
Old 05-15-20, 06:34 PM
Miradaman

Bikes: 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1989 Trek 420, 1995 GT Timberline, 1979 Schwinn Super Le Tour, Co-Op DRT 1.3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
It depends. If the chain were just old but not worn out he is misguided. If the chain is worn beyond about 1% (as in measured length) then he's got a good point, although the chainrings tend to outlast the rear cogs by a factor or three. Did he measure the chain wear? Did he test the rear cog wear (we use a Rolhloff device)? Did he show you, on your bike, the worn shapes of the teeth?

As to his suggestion of a new bike I have missed feelings. A new bike is new all over, not just the links and teeth of the proposed repair. This newness will show in both a smoother running bike but as well as allow you to enjoy 30 years of product/feature/function development. One aspect that many don't initially understand is that the dealer wants a happy customer many months later. They will make more money on the repair in the short term but the customer will generally be happier months later with that new bike. That happy customer will enjoy riding more and return for both service and possibly service over the years.

So pick your poison. Andy
He put it actually put it on the stand and went over it pretty well for me. He measured the chain with some tool I didn't recognized and said it was defintely stretched. He didn't show me the specific wear points on the teeth, I just took him for his word.