Old 05-18-20, 10:59 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
Has anyone else ever had this happen? Brand new pedals, brand new crank. The pedals were pretty difficult to install and by the end there were chips of aluminum getting pushed out the other side.

Yes, I thoroughly greased the threads. No, they're not cross-threaded. Both pedals did the same thing. I don't remember this happening years ago when I installed Shimano pedals on a new Rene Herse crank. I even tried softening the rough edges of the pedal threads with a Dremel cut-off wheel, but that didn't seem to help.

I think I'm going to order some crank taps and try making a pedal thread "die" out of an old steel crank arm to prevent something like this from happening again. I just hope I didn't ruin the crank... I needed the bike and didn't have another good option at the time. Now I'm afraid to remove the pedals.
Guessing between the two--I'd bet the problem was predominantly the pedal threads. My guess is it's fine. If you ever messed up the threads on a super expensive crank like that, the upside is that a Herse crank is solid aluminum so you could use a helicoil kit on it if you somehow really damaged the threads.