View Single Post
Old 05-18-20, 08:52 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by thinktubes
I usually block buyers with these types of requests - red flag.

Me too. It has return with the box now open written all over it. Original sealed box typically has higher value. Myself, I avoid NOS and original sealed box as I would rather pay LESS for a lightly used item. And I know as soon as I take it out of the box, it's used. Finally, I really prefer a vintage bike show its age.

To this comment: "I recently asked a seller of a frame to get me a head tube measurement. He said it was already packed for shipping so he couldn't do that. It deterred me from making the purchase. Different story entirely, but it's like CliffordK says above... Sellers can do things that make or lose them money. That frame is still not sold after being advertised for several months, though the price is not unreasonable. *Shrug*"

I can understand the seller's position as well. As a TR seller, to get my discount I have one day to ship. So on the harder to pack stuff, I sometimes pack it ahead of time. Since I do not have defined end dates (I sell buy it now), the auction can end at the worst time for me to pack. Since I preset a BIN price, I am not seeking additional "action" to drive up price. Instead, I tend to set a reasonable price and move on.

Its the beauty of eBay. Sellers can ask any price they want, and respond to questions any way they choose. Buyers can move on, ignore, or not buy from sellers where the response is not to their liking. Today I got asked for a discount on an item that I sell buy it now, FREE shipping, for a whopping $18. I've sold several at this price, sold one a couple of days ago. After fees, packing, and postage, I am netting about $11. Discount? Not going to happen.

Last edited by wrk101; 05-18-20 at 09:10 PM.
Likes For wrk101: