Bike Forums - View Single Post - Carbon saddle rails
View Single Post
Old 05-19-20, 12:17 AM
scubaman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have one Selle Anatomica saddle like that, with interchangeable stainless steel and carbon fiber rails, and several Selle Anatomic saddles with non-interchageable steel rails. Three comments. (1) on your saddle, the carbon rails have more avalable setback than the stainless rails; that matters for me, in that I need the carbon rails to position my saddle where I want it. (2) So far as I'm aware, issues with Selle Anatomica rails bending - which has happened to me - were mainly or entirely for the older saddle models with non-interchageable rails. SA has changed the design and the rail material of those over time to make bending less likely. Your steel rails are relatively strong stainless, and the available setback is shorter than on the non-interchangeable saddle models, which makes bending less likely. (3) Are you within the weight limits Selle Anatomica specifies for your particular saddle? If so, I'd think you're OK.

All that said, if you can position the saddle where you want it with either set of rails, I'd probably use the steel rails for travel, because I prefer the failure mode of steel to that of carbon fiber. (Same reason I ride steel bikes.)
Likes For scubaman: