Old 05-19-20, 09:34 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy View Post
The whole idea of carbon saddle rails is that they absorb some vibration. Try switching them with steel and see if you notice a difference. If SA says they're stronger, then they're stronger. They're also less likely to fail from fatigue, though steel is pretty good in that respect also, just that carbon is better.

To some of the above comments regarding seatpost position on the saddle rails: If your seatpost clamp is not somewhere near the middle of your saddle rails, you need a seatpost with a different setback. That's how one is nice to one's saddle rails.
+1 one to getting the amount of setback so that the clamp is centered on the rails as much as possible.

Also, for seatpost selection I had to order the optional 7x9 carbon rail clamp kit for my Thomson post. I used a Selle Italia Turbomatic Team Carbon railed saddle on both my main bikes. The Thomson is on a compact aluminum Flyte, the other Turbomatic is mounted to a Ritchey Superlogic carbon post in my titanium Veritas. With the carbon rails, the saddle weight is quite a bit less. The Turbomatic Team carbon is about 250 grams. Not the lightest saddle out there but it is a substantial saddle (long, with moderate width (143mm) at the back).

As for using a bigger bigger saddle bag with a carbon railed saddle I canít help much there. I would think that it would be OK, but you would have to watch for excessive abrasion to the rails.