Old 05-20-20, 05:58 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1
I'm not sure exactly what causes my foot problems - I've always associated it with a wide forefoot (toe box) but I probably need to go see a podiatrist when this lockdown is lifted.

Cycling, my toes go numb after as little as 10 miles. Both feet, starts in the middle toes and spreads. Getting off the bike for a few minutes helps, but the numbness returns once I'm back on the bike. Started with flat shoes (Five Tens) that were at least a size too big to account for my wider foot, tried saddles thinking it was maybe pinching some nerves or blood vessels in my pelvis, moved on to SPD shoes with wide sizes. I tried Bont Riot+ MTB (size 42.5 wide), felt comfortable but got numb toes. Next tried Shimano XC7 (size 42 wide), VERY comfortable, but again numb toes. Next, found some Lake MX218 (size 42 wide) which are not as comfortable but seem to alleviate my numb toe issues! I *think* the Lakes allow the cleats to go further back on the shoe, and maybe that's part of the solution, but I'm not positive. What I do know is that clipping in is 10x as hard in the Lakes as it was the Bont or Shimano, I just can never seem to find the cleats! I'm also struggling with front and inner knee pain now with the Lakes, which makes me think of cleat position as well.
Pain to the front of the knee is a textbook example of "saddle too low". I doubt it's the cleats. Maybe since the cleat is further back now, you're not extending your leg as much, causing pain to the front of the knee. I would raise my saddle 1/4" or so, and see if that helps.

I love cleats all the way back too, and would probably buy a given shoe if I knew the cleats went further back than other brands. These "toe peddlers", who ARE these people? I must be more of a "heel peddler".

I suspect maybe it's easier and cheaper for shoe manufacturers to build shoes where the cleat don't go very far back, but that's just rank speculation.