View Single Post
Old 05-20-20, 08:52 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 573 Posts
Priorities and build options changed because of the pandemic, so here's an update. I just want to ride this thing, and I don't have access to the machine shop for the foreseeable future, so everything is much harder! So I bought a Velo Orange front rack and an American Classic seatpost. I still made a decaleur for an old SR Custom stem, rather than buying a new Technomic, which was fun.

You can see I had to consider how far the decaleur extends, in order that I wouldn't hit the quill screwing it in. Then the nut can be tightened independently of the decaleur being twisted, in order to secure the bars. If it pivots too much under normal use, I will put either a set screw or some loctite to hold it permanently.

Here's the bike so far. Projected weight is around 26-27lbs. This with a Brooks saddle and Suntour LePree three-pulley derailleur. The wheels are boat anchors more suited to touring, though: Ambrosio Keba rims and Shimano S500 dynamo front/Deore LX rear. With lighter wheels (SP SV-9+Circus Monkey and Pacenti rims) I could get the weight down to 25.5lbs I think. That would be respectable for a randonneuse. I'll see how it rides first. To do that, I need to make that front derailleur cage.

The original paint is kind of reminding me of "rat-rod" patina, which is in fashion among certain car guys. I wonder if I should just spray cheap clearcoat over it for the time being. I just want to ride it for now, and see how everything works.