View Single Post
Old 05-21-20, 12:55 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by ohjonnybegoode
Agree with what other folks above have said... if you see something you want at a decent buy it now price...snag it. This is how I just got my grail bike after years of searching...a new Waterford is way out of my price range...and I searched eBay for years to find one my size and at a decent price. When I saw this one, I didn’t hesitate and am so happy I didn’t.

Also try searching auctions that are close to ending soon...I got my Davidson that way...for some reason no one bid on it...I was the first and only bidder and got it for a song...

As an owner of a 'rider' quality (paint-wise) Davidson Impulse--in the same 64cm size, even--I would think it fitting if those were people's Grail Bikes, they're that good. I've tried a lot of steel race frames, and yes wheel/tire choice is very important and has an affect on things, but get the Impulse right (or right-er) and it will show you its brilliance. I got lucky on CL and found my Impulse as a frameset for a crazy low price. It was almost sunk by a meh set of wheels and tires upon my first building of it, but I kept it around, found "its" wheels and "its" tires over time (aka pretty recently), then paired them with a groupset that matched it's apex predator capability (10s Ultegra Di2). It's not even close how good it is and how much better it is than other race-geo steel.

Yet still, because I am smart, I look at other frames to buy and try and build up. A Paramount of numerous vintages in my size, in race geometry (my '74 P15 is superb, but let's get lighter!) is still on my list. Glad you found your Waterford for such a deal!