View Single Post
Old 05-22-20, 07:36 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,163 Times in 1,322 Posts
In the early 70's Richard Nixon, in coordination with the Dept of the Navy, worked out an arrangement to lease part of Camp Pendleton to the state of California. Included in the land was the San Onofre surfing beach. Ronald Reagan turned the area into San Onofre State Beach. Prior to that, the surfing spot was basically a private beach run by the San Onofre Surfing Club with access to members only. In all fairness, this was done at the urging of the Marine base to limit public access or lose access entirely. But membership was limited and there was an extensive waiting list to join, although knowing a club member could get you in. I was neither a member nor had any connections. Needless-to-say, the club burned Nixon in effigy.

Soon after the beach was opened, I started making the almost hour long drive down the coast whenever I could. It soon became my favorite spot. So 70s comes from that time period and SanO comes from the unofficial name for San Onofre.

Thirty years later I would be sharing waves with our twin boys at San Onofre. It couldn't get any better than that.

John