Old 05-26-20, 08:31 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6218 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Thanks, I never knew that. It certainly doesn't inspire confidence. I have a couple of bike mechanics I trust, I will ask them. If the wheel is sound, I will do nothing and enjoy it (after fitting a new inner tube.

By the way I realize now "559" is the size.

Also thanks all for the suggestions and suggestions to come...
559mm is the tire bead diameter. It’s for 26” tires. If you do the math, 559mm isn’t 26”, it’s actually 22”. The 26” refers to the outside diameter of the tire when mounted. But, to be even more confusing, the whole system isn’t actually 26” unless the tire is 2” tall. Bicycle tires and wheels are a truly confusing system.

As for the wheel, the reason a unwelded joint works is because the rim is held in place by the tension of the spokes. The spoke are trying to pull the round rim in on itself and the rim resists that. Under tension, the joint won’t fail even if it looks slightly separated.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: