Old 05-30-20, 03:27 PM
achui17

Bikes: 1970 Raleigh Grand Prix, Devinci Milano

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
What you are proposing can be done, but probably doesn't make much sense economically. Unless you can do all the work yourself (or have a bike mechanic buddy who owes you a big favor) and have all or most of the parts you need, tearing a 1970 bike down to the frame and building it back up with all modern parts is very likely going to cost you as much, or likely more than just finding a modern road bike, either used in ready to ride condition, or new, hopefully on sale. Because an entry level new bike should be available for around $800 or $900 US, or a used one for maybe $400 or $500. Buying new everything for a vintage bike, including drivetrain components, shifters, wheels, tires, etc, plus labor will cost you at least what an entry level new bike, or quality modern used bike will cost.

My suggestion is, either clean the bike up and ride more or less as is, or just buy another bike.
Sorry I didn't word my post clearly. When I said brand new bike I meant like none of the old parts from the frame, not brand new modern parts. If I can find a used groupset with integrated shifting that is the ideal situation. Thank you for your reply though, I will take that advice into consideration.