View Single Post
Old 05-31-20, 08:06 PM
vintagebicycle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 48 Posts
I agree, parting the thing out will yield the most profit, but I don't see why a 25.5" frame would be an issue. I've always tried to stick to only larger frames, the small stuff don't sell. Anything under 23" is dead in the water here, the larger frames are the only bikes I'll fix and sell whole because they bring a premium. I could put $20 on a small frame bike and it won't get a single email.
In the last week, I sold a 25.5" Raleigh Super Course, two 24" Schwinn Varsities, a 25" Peugeot U-08, a 26" Panasonic DX2000, a 29" Raleigh Marathon, an early 25" Trek 412, two 24" Schwinn Travelers, and four 24" Panasonic ATB mountain bikes of various years. All while two 23" Peugeot PL10's, three Schwinn Continentals, in 19, 21, and 23" all went unsold, and a pair of mint clean Nishiki Custom Sports in 21" frame size all got zero attention. I can get more for a 27" wheelset than I can for a small frame bike or frame here. Big frame, lower to mid range bikes seem to get the most attention. Pretty much any big frame that can be sold under $250 sells fast. I had a small frame new old stock Raleigh International sit for a year unsold at $500 cash, I finally found a suitable larger frame to swap everything over too. and it sold the same day. The small frame stayed listed for $100 on CL for four months before someone finally drove down from Boston to get it.

I just picked up another Trek 412 in dark blue with Ishiwatta 022, and a pair of '77 Raleigh Super Course's and a Grand Prix all in 25.5" The one SC and the Trek are aleady spoken for. The Trek 412 has Rigida 13-20 rims, Sunshine hubs, Suntour VX derailleurs with stem shifters, Silstar cranks, a Selle Royale saddle, SR Laprade seat post, and two Michelin Dynamic 27x1 1/8" blackwall tires. I have to go through it and give it a full service to be picked up next Sat. The guy is traveling two hours each way to get it. The bike basically just needs a good cleaning and relube, I'll touch up the wheels on the stand, remove and soak the chain clean, clean the freewheel and hubs real well and go through the BB and headset. I'll also likely give it a fresh set of brake pads and some shiny new cables. I don't worry about putting a few dollars into the larger bikes because they always sell, but small frames are best parted out or thought of as donor bikes for larger frames.