Bike Forums - View Single Post - Bacchetta trike questions
View Single Post
Old 06-02-20, 08:28 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 41 Posts
If you know the number of teeth on each sprocket on the cassette you can calculate the gear range here: Mike Sherman's Bicycle Gear Calculator Using the 11/42 and 50/34 you get upper and lower limits of 21.5 to 121 gear inches. Without knowing what is in between on the cassette you can't tell how many gears are duplicates or near duplicates. Email Bachetta and ask for the exact specs on the cassette.

Have you actually ridden the trike? Are you going to be able to get out of the seat? My trike has a 25 degree seat. I've had more than a few people be unable to exit the trike without help. My 2013 Catrike 700 has 30 speeds but I almost always just use the 10 gears in the middle range for the front chainrings. I can find a comfortable cadence just within those 10. I don't own a carbon frame anything so don't know how well it functions to absorb shocks. Bacchetta probably used these narrow wheels to reduce the overall weight to the trike and increase speed. Catrike did the same thing with the 2013 CT700 and sent it out with Schwalbe Ultremo ZX 406 front tires. I threw them away immediately and went to using a 1.4" 406 BMX tire that although heavier was far more suitable when it came to durability and flat resistance. It has a maximum of 85 pounds so is a lot more comfortable If you want to avoid pinch flats you are going to have to run these tires at full inflation. My rear is a 700C X 23 and is certainly not the greatest for absorbing road shock. That's just part of having narrow tires for a faster ride.