View Single Post
Old 06-03-20, 04:46 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
Originally Posted by davefidd
Hi! I want to fit my Holdsworth Special frame with modern carbon fibre fork/stem/handlebars&seatpost, wheels and crank/pedals. I'm new to this and I'm looking for some help to chose the right parts and see what's possible. Thanks!
Well, here are some considerations on your front end: You can go with a 1" threaded carbon fork (Nashbar used to sell a cheap one), which would likely mean you could use your existing headset. An important measurement is from the dropouts to the top of the crown (AC); ideally, you'll find a fork with the same AC distance as you have now, which would allow you to use your same front brake (though it's possible it's nutted mount while any fork you find will be recessed mounted--a different problem to solve). Or you could go with a 1" threadless carbon fork, which would mean a new headset and my note about the AC distance and brake reach would still apply.

For cranks, plenty of carbon cranks around at a really wide range of prices. Depends on whether you want compact gearing (e.g. 50/34t rings) or something more racy. One nice thing about modern cranks is that they're usually sold with bottom brackets or at least you have the option to buy one at the same time you buy the crank. That's good because the types of BBs has really proliferated with modern bikes, but you'd be looking at one for a BSA-threaded/68mm BB shell.

Whatever you plan on doing, I'd first want to you answer if this frame is worth hanging these parts on, all of which will probably cost you a significant number of coins when all is said and done. Of course, you can try and ride it for a bit and then move on to something else to hang these parts on if it's not working out.