View Single Post
Old 06-03-20, 07:36 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 813 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie View Post
When are you going into production?

$750 for a clamp-on version. Unpainted.

I remember Ron Cooper once remarking in an interview that either framebuilding had gotten harder in his old age, or that the trend toward randonneur cycles was making his job harder for him!
Before building this bike, I didn't get it. You look at a Herse front derailleur and you go "that only has a couple parts, it can't take long!"
And then you build it and you completely agree with the old man by the end. At least I wasn't silly enough to ask any framebuilder to make one for me! I'd have been laughed out the door!

I did learn a few things. Mainly, not to do it again, although I may forget that in time because it shifts the 28-48 gap really well. If I were to do it again, I'd make it from smaller 10mm square tube and maybe go thinner on the cage. This would make it lighter and easier to build. I would just have to find telescoping square tubing, which I have been unable to so far.

Edit: oh god, looking at my Herse tandem thread, some people may actually need such a derailleur for a real Herse. Never thought of that... !

Last edited by scarlson; 06-03-20 at 07:54 PM.
Likes For scarlson: