View Single Post
Old 06-04-20, 06:19 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,065 Times in 573 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp View Post
I do think about making this a triple, but in my (albeit limited) experience with triples I usually just use the middle and granny ring, any situation that warrants changing in to the biggest ring I'm usually just freewheeling I do understand why tourists like their triples though, the big jump from 46 to 30 can disrupt your cadence quite a bit. If I rode more gravel I would definitely consider changing out at least the small ring to a 28 or 26.
I so wish we had more gravel options here in the Boston area. I need to bring it up to Vermont to actually put it through some paces now, on steeper terrain.

Plus, I know it's a boat anchor so it's an easy target It's comfy, but not comfy enough to keep it off of the chopping block.
Yeah I know! If older Terry Ti saddles didn't cost so darn much right now due to the mini-bike-boom, I'd have already bought another. I have a butchered Brooks from a French bike that I might try. It "only" weighs 450g but it's likely too triangular-shaped. And if I really want to save weight, I have a Cool Gear, but I kinda think I'll break it.
Well yeah! As a card-carrying BQ weenie that's what you're supposed to do, right?
Hah what gave it away? The obnoxious brake cables out the tops of the levers, the obnoxious front derailleur, or the obnoxious tone of my posts?
It's true, for years I wanted to be like Jan. But I'm in the process of getting it out of my system. I think he should open up the René Herse archives, so we can all have access to the richness of this history and whatever designs and photographs exist. And stop reviewing e-bikes and disc brakes. I guess I liked it better when BQ was for underdogs, not top dogs. Maybe time to go back to Rivendell? (I bought my Brooks saddle from them with birthday + Christmas money when I was 14)
For what it's worth, I ordered my bag direct from Berthoud as part of a group to split shipping costs, for some large amount less than the strap-equipped one from Compass, but I do end up wanting the strap from time to time. My dad had a strap on his Ortlieb handlebar bag, when he took us on tour as children, so that might be where this is coming from. I have a strap from an old Cannondale bag I could easily press into service, so really all I need are the D-rings attached.