Thread: Touring workups
View Single Post
Old 06-06-20, 03:17 PM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
...If it gets wet and you ride it, it can stretch too much. But once you get it about 70 to 80 percent of where you want it, apply Proofide, top and bottom...I apply more Proofide before each of my longer (multi-week) tours. I also always put the rain cover on it at night in case of dew. Leave the adjustment bolt where it is, only tighten it if it gets wet and stretched out, and then only tighten it a little bit at a time.
Seeing as I had no knowledge and was in most likelihood going to fail to learn the lesson, I will take your advice to heart. I used the little Proofide packet that came with the bike. The bike lives in the garage, but the saddle was originally blue and is now black. I bought a tin of Proofide, and will use it as you suggested.

Also, I now recognize the Smart bottles and had become familar with the compatability with Sawyer water filters. That might be the way to go since I wory about Tap water. Worse case filter tap water for cooking.

I test road loaded at 54.5 lbs.
Bike 33lbs. 1oz.
Water on forks each 3lbs. 9oz.
Rt Pannier 7lbs.
Lt Pannier 7lbs, 3oz

Stable enough, with the load of water bottle up front. I never really concerned my self with fore-&-aft balance, but the steering feels less solide without the bottles.
Lastly, I guess I could have anticipated a difference, but compared to my Specialized Roubaix, at just under 20lbs, I will need to acquire an appreciation for it's utility.

PS. Dare I put a Kick Stand, aftter all those years believing kick stands are evil?