View Single Post
Old 06-07-20, 09:53 AM
SuperLJ
"part timer"

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1978 Bertin C35, 1982 Trek 614, 1983 Trek 620, 1984 Nishiki Seral, 1995 Mercian Ko’M, 1998 Fisher HKEK, 2000 Rivendell RS, 2001 Heron Touring, 2016 Nobilette Custom

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 33 Posts
First “new” bike in a long time

Just picked up this Nishiki Seral off Craigslist yesterday. My 20-something son has been bugging me for another bike since he’s long outgrown the tiny Trek 614 I fixed up for him years ago. I paid $250 - not a steal or anything, but a very fair price I think. The seller was a bike guy and knew what he had. He actually had two of these, which were identical. Amazingly, the other one was in even nicer shape but was already sold before I could get over there.

Based on TMar’s database, it’s an ‘83. Hardly any wear on the brake tracks and chainrings, so I think it didn’t get ridden much at all in the past. Really neat old loaded tourer. Lots of braze-ons compared to most other bikes of that era. I spent the morning ordering up all the stuff from eBay I need to make it right.

So here’s my questions for the panel:

1. I can’t find any old catalog scans for Nishikis on the web, and I’m wondering where did the Seral fell in the Nishiki hierarchy? Surely this was their top-of-the-line tourer, but I remember Nishiki also had a model called the Cresta. Was that higher up the line, or from a different era?

2. I’d like to eventually convert it over to 700C using the nice sealed-bearing SunTour hubs it came with, but the rear is 40H and apparently my favorite Sun CR18 rims are no longer available in that drilling. The only thing I see is Velocity’s Dyad which ain’t gonna look right on a vintage bike. Anybody know any other alternatives?

3. What color bar tape? Tan? Black? Throw some color on there?

Thanks gang!

Likes For SuperLJ: