Old 06-08-20, 09:14 AM
gmvelo

Bikes: '85 Trek 620, '88 Schwinn Cimarron, '88 Novara Ponderosa, '6#? Magni, '93 Stumpjumper w/Dirt Drops, 70's Raleigh Competition G.S., '80 Bill Vetter, '90's IF Deluxe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Here is a cool one, from up here in Vermont. Pretty well-priced at $750, even without the one-of-a-kind backstory:

In 2000, my son worked for Raleigh America in Kent, Washington, USA. He built this bike especially for me, so his description follows.

“A friend and contact at one of our dealers represented Bob Jackson Cycles (Leeds, UK) in the USA.

At the time, Raleigh America had recently introduced the Modo collection of three Italian-inspired, Taiwanese-made models, TIG-welded with Columbus tubing, and equipped with Campagnolo components under their Univega brand.

My friend Paul thought that Raleigh America should execute a similar idea more authentically, by offering lugged framesets, brazed in England, with Reynolds tubing.

To this end, he arranged with Bob Jackson Cycles to build a small number of framesets (I remember five) as proof of concept. This bike, brazed with Reynolds 531 Competition tubing, was the only one made in the Mixte frame configuration, with twin, dropped top tubes, running from the head tube to the rear dropouts.

The frames with more traditional configurations were distributed to key employees within Raleigh America for their evaluation, but nobody claimed the Mixte frame. Once it became clear that management wasn’t interested in pursuing this concept, I built the Mixte frame into a bike for my mother, as seen here.

Components from Shimano’s Santé group were selected for their high quality and pearl white finish. I refinished the crank arms, as the original paint had rubbed through with use.

One can also see the influence of Rivendell Bicycle Works on the build, with a Willow chainring used to reduce the gearing, adaptors to move the shifters to the bar ends, and a Nitto Dirt Drop stem and Moustache handlebar used to create a higher hand position compared to traditional drop bars.

The 700x28c Michelin clincher tires were selected as the largest volume options which could safely fit under the brake calipers. Their sidewalls have deteriorated over the past twenty years, and should be replaced before riding. A pair of Vittoria Corsa tires in 700x25c, with silver-grey sidewalls to compliment the frame’s color accents, will be included with a purchase at the asking price.

If I remember correctly, the frame is in 54cm size. This would traditionally fit riders between about 5‘6“ to 5‘9“, with inseam lengths between 30“ and 32“.

So, if you’re looking for a one-of-a-kind, hand-built, English lightweight cycle with a taller than average Mixte frame, and an interesting story, look no further. We bought an e-bike for my mother last year, and as long as this beauty is still in the garage, she may not ever start riding it.

URL -
https://vermont.craigslist.org/bik/d...137659687.html

Last edited by gmvelo; 06-08-20 at 09:15 AM. Reason: added url
Likes For gmvelo: