View Single Post
Old 06-08-20, 10:39 AM
SuperLJ
"part timer"

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1978 Bertin C35, 1982 Trek 614, 1983 Trek 620, 1984 Nishiki Seral, 1995 Mercian Ko’M, 1998 Fisher HKEK, 2000 Rivendell RS, 2001 Heron Touring, 2016 Nobilette Custom

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy View Post
The Velocity Atlas looks like it’s made in 40.

They’re beefy- I’ve got a 36 hole set...

Do a bit of looking/reading- it seems to me I’ve read that with modern butted spokes and modern rims and whatever else has come up in the past 30+ years- you may not need a 40 spoke wheel if a modern 36 spoke wheel is as strong or stronger.

FWIW- I said I didn’t care about wheel weight when I had the Atlas wheels built; at the time I was running a set of Super Champion Modele 58 40 spoke front and rear... then I got the Atlas wheels... I appreciate lighter wheels now.
GB -

I couldn’t agree more. I was just hoping to use the existing 40h SunTour hub because it’s really nice quality, and I’m notoriously cheap.

Years ago when I was building my Heron loaded tourer, the guy who built my wheels said exactly what you did regarding modern rims, spokes, and spoke count. I trust him implicitly, and he talked me into 36 front and rear. (I gave him the 40h CR18 rim I had planned to use as partial payment for the labor, dang it!)

After thousands and thousands of miles, sometimes loaded with 40+ pounds of gear, they’ve never given me a minute of trouble. Some of that might be due to using a 135mm Phil hub and a six-speed freewheel, resulting in a rear wheel with almost no dish.
Likes For SuperLJ: