View Single Post
Old 06-09-20, 06:13 AM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by jonny7
Thanks for the decal website! What would you use to clean the chrome and get rid of the rust on the MAFACs?
For the Chrome socks (and fork lugs), I'd just use an inexpensive chrome polish from an automotive store like "Turtle Wax Chrome Polish & Rust Remover." I'd use that on the crankset too. For the small chrome parts from the brakes, I'd soak those in an oxalic acid bath, and then brush with a steel brush (many posts here on oxalic acid baths and you can purchase that dry on ebay). Or I'd get some pre-mixed liquid rust remover (though that tends to get pricey in large amounts). If necessary I'd set up a bigger oxalic acid bath for the socks, and the crankset (but, I don't think that will be necessary!). I'd polish the Mafac aluminum parts with "Mothers Mag & Aluminum Polish." I'd then finish all the small metal parts, and the chrome socks, with "Renaissance Wax" microcrystalline wax for some protection. But hey, start of with 3-4 dollars invested in chrome polish, some rags, and within a half hour I bet you'll be very happy with the progress!