View Single Post
Old 06-09-20, 07:00 PM
Barry2 
LRP=HR

Bikes: 79 Holdsworth Special, 93 C-dale MT3000 Tandem, 96 C-dale F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 324 Posts
FulGaz 12 Week FTP Program (Beginners)

6/9/2020
With my Strava estimated FTP being static for the last two months it is time to make a change.
I've decided that simply adding miles to my week might not be the most productive solution.
There must be a reason that structured workouts are available from multiple sources...... really!

My software of choice, FulGaz, has a 12 week FTP program for Beginners.
OK I'm in... I did the first day today. The Kinglake FTP Test.
This is to set a baseline for the rest of the program.
It is a warm up period, followed by a 20min go as hard as you can up a %5 average hill test.
I've never had to pace myself this way and found pacing kinda tough.
Pedaling was also tough. But that would be the point.
Spoiler

With practice in pacing, I could likely better that by a few watts. But it is pretty close to the number Strava estimated at 135W.

Now to see if I can stick to the Kickr and the FulGaz program for a whole 3 months.

All the best

Barry

I post the picture not because I'm proud of my 140W, but for future reference.
Note: Strava reports the measured climb as 137w and not the FulGaz reported 140W. Thanks Strava, and why do I pay you 8-)

Training (or not) Log
WEEK 1
(TLDR Version, Started out with 20min FTP test to set my level in the Software. Intervals appear to be achievable and yet still taxing.)
Spoiler

WEEK 2 (TLDR Version, Intervals have become extremely tough to complete. A Software bug forcing me to use ERG mode is making it worse. I got irked and frustrated. I'm worried I can't do this program.)
Spoiler

WEEK 3 (TLDR Version, Intervals getting easier, prior 168W was really tough on me. Found I like mornings better. I tested my new legs and hit a PB. I'm encouraged by the results.)
Spoiler

WEEK 4 (TLDR Worked hard, did what I was told and went from 140W to 144W in a month of intervals.... so why bother!)
Spoiler

Last edited by Barry2; 07-06-20 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Hid weekly details inside "spoilers"
Likes For Barry2: