View Single Post
Old 06-10-20, 01:32 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Sudden max HR drop

Hi,

I've noticed that recently, I'm having issues reaching my usual max HR when cycling. I'm 35 y/o and have bradychardia (that doesn't cause me any problem, except that I have a resting HR around 40bpm, and go around 30 when sleeping). I'm totally fine according to my cardiologist.

Usually, when cycling and doing a big effort, my HR reaches around 175bpm, this happens usually on really steep climbs or when going really fast. If I keep pushing I have seen 185bpm, but it's not usual for me to go so high. On most rides, I usually reach something between 170 and 175 in several moments.

However, in the last 2 weeks, I noticed that my HR refuses to go higher that 165bpm. Even if I pedal as hard as I can, with my legs burning, it just seems to top out there. I don't feel bad, nor slower than before. I ride mostly at the same speed and my average HR is the same as before (usually around 140bpm), but in the course of a few days my HR simply stopped going higher.

What could cause this? I'm thinking about covid confinement, but I did 2 spinning sessions per week during that, and on my first rides after confinement a month ago this didn't happen.

Last edited by Amt0571; 06-10-20 at 02:02 AM.