View Single Post
Old 06-11-20, 04:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Rider_1
Sorry, but I disagree. I'm pretty aware of advertising hype, but when it comes to weight training to gain muscle, it's very hard to eat enough protein through meat, fish, dairy products, and eggs. Sure, it can be done, but the volume of food needed would be too much, certainly on a regular basis, not to mention the cost. I've tried. I'm not talking about maintaining, I'm talking about building muscle. How many grams of protein per day do you think that requires?

Also, " Protein powder is not some magical substance that will build muscle". Protein is precisely what muscle is built from.

First of all, you can definitely get a very large amount of protein through food, I can't for tthe life of me see any advantage to taking in bunches of whey over eating nonfat greek yogurt for example.

Second, like all other supplements, when you eat them, you really don't know what you're actually consuming because the regulation is so lax. Lab analysis is finding actual toxins in some of them. No thanks.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...rotein-powders

Third, it's not clear that eating a purified protein doesn't cancel itself out by blocking the absorption of amino acids from food. The science on that is conflicting, so it's an issue worth following as the research continues.