Old 06-14-20, 07:09 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2312 Post(s)
Liked 563 Times in 404 Posts
The first thing you need to know is that spoke washers should be used with most Nisi rims. I have no idea if anyone still sells them. Most likely some other washer of about the same size would work.

I suggest weighing them. For general purpose riding, something around 400g is about right. I suspect many of those could be lighter racing rims. A lot depends on how lightly you ride your bike. We should have a thread on that sometime.

They'll probably be fine with 32 or 35mm tires. Can't say for certain, but del Mondos and the like were still popular circa the late 70s. That will also help durability. I'd go 4x and double butted spokes too --and don't go nuts with the tension.

I vaguely remember the blue ones, but don't remember exactly what they were. Maybe an SSC competitor.

EDIT: I see that the nomenclature has shifted. What we used to call spoke washers are now called nipple washers, and are in fact still sold.

Last edited by Salamandrine; 06-14-20 at 07:12 PM.