Old 06-15-20, 03:03 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
The path from Amherst to Northampton is fantastic! I've been on it a few times, and I've never seen it crowded.
It is indeed quite nice, though perhaps the busiest I've ridden.

Generally it has a very aware and cooperative user community with an appreciation for the trail and a sense of how to properly use it very pervasive through the community. Though crossing the not all that wide bridge over the Connecticut River at sunset last night meant dealing with some people who were slow to remember that it's a corridor more than a spot for family picture taking. Returning a few minutes later found it empty.

I forget which of the three trails it was on, but had one issue where a pedestrian who thought he was in Rhode Island and not Massachusetts (ie, walking opposite cycle traffic rather than with it in accordance with local law) set up a conflicting chain reaction among several other trail users. Nobody was going very fast so it all worked out without actual incident but it does show what a problem doing your own thing with disregard for rules and norms can be. People deviating from their lane on the S curve descent approaching the tunnel under rt 9 can be a little hair-raising, too.

One of these days I need to go ride all the way to the end in Belchertown, have been exploring past the ends of the other trails but haven't actually reached the end of that longest of the three paths yet.

Last edited by UniChris; 06-15-20 at 03:06 PM.