View Single Post
Old 06-16-20, 12:19 PM
ZHVelo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
FTP From 1 Hour Test

I managed to find a route with no traffic light and minimal road changes (in fact, I had 3 roundabouts and 2 left turns, neither of which made me stop for cars actually, in the whole hour, which I think is pretty decent). The only issue turns out to be that there are too many downhill parts. And you drop the watts like crazy there, especially in corners (where I don't feel confident pedaling at all even tbh). I will go a different route that is flat, it has several roundabouts and 2 traffic lights, but I feel that is better than longer downhill parts. You can run up really close to them if it is red and then start up again. Yes you might get to 'rest' but tbh I just feel you lose momentum and the effort getting back to speed hurts, too.

But anyway, is it fair to add a few watts to the average? On Wahoo the average read 253 after 1 hour with nPower at 268. Funnily enough, afterwards, the first lap (I did not start with the warm up) it read 250 not 253, while Strava for that lap displays 255. I was aiming for 260 and I actually lost 10W on those downhill parts (gaining one on the uphill part in between) and after a 5 minute rest I got to a local hill on which I managed 267 over 7 minutes, so I think using 260 seems to be a fair judgment, what do you think?

ps the last test I did was 20 minutes (I try to do one a month and alternate between 20 and 60 minutes) and I managed 264 there so I can almost hold that for the whole hour now, which is pretty cool. The last 60 minute test I got 228 average, but used 235, because a few rides after I was still gaining like crazy and Strava suggested an FTP in the 240s.