Old 06-16-20, 10:00 PM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by Salamandrine
It shouldn't be that loud. Can you pull the main cable out and grease it? Sounds like it just needs maintenance. May need additional lubrication elsewhere.
Cable/housing and drive unit on the wheel have been disassembled cleaned and greased where appropriate, the drive unit on the side of the tire specifies no lubrication as its just rubber bands on little plastic wheels inside there. Any oil on the cable will run down into the drive unit and make it stop working correctly, ask me how I know, D'oh!

The head unit of a speedo normally just has a spinning magnet and a spring inside, but there may be some clockwork for the odometer that's acting up.
Ahhh, I was wondering how that was set up, thats where I think the noise is coming from, I'll see about prying the little tabs back that hold the head on the unit and see what I can do, thanks!

I hear the high pitched whine of the wheel, but that's the least of your noises. IKU were a lot quieter because the wheel was smooth. You could sand your wheel smooth, but it would throw off the accuracy a bit. Or try moving it to contact a different part of the tire.
It is running on a smooth part of the tire, I did run this on a bike out east for a bit and the ODO reads a bit low, so sanding the bumps off the driver wheel is the plan as it will make it more accurate, but I want to get rid of the blatant noise first before I spend time sanding the bumps off.

I'll check it out, thanks!