Old 06-17-20, 07:45 AM
SuperLJ
"part timer"

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1978 Bertin C35, 1982 Trek 614, 1983 Trek 620, 1984 Nishiki Seral, 1995 Mercian Ko’M, 1998 Fisher HKEK, 2000 Rivendell RS, 2001 Heron Touring, 2016 Nobilette Custom

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 61 Posts
Originally Posted by NatusEstInSuht
Thank you very much both of you and wonderful choices in bikes. They look great!

So I'm going to try and get the frame. Hopefully it works out! I'll know in a few days.

I've been spending a good deal of time researching French frames, given their not so common dimensions and idiosyncrasies. It looks like I'll have to source a 22mm stem or slim down a quill stem by 0.2mm. There's also the issue of attaching a front derailleur to the frame. I'm pretty sure the seat tube is 28mm, given the 26.4mm seat post so I'll have to purchase, fabricate or bodge a shim for the clamp. Any thoughts or experiences?
I’m sure you’ve already found this, but here’s Sheldon’s article about French bikes: https://www.sheldonbrown.com/velos.html

Often you can use a 28.6 front derailleur on a 28.0 French seat tube without a problem. It depends on the derailleur clamp. Here’s a good thread on the topic: 28.0 seat tube new Front Derailleur

That’s a rare and beautiful frame. The fact that it comes with a French-dimensioned seat post, BB, and headset is a huge plus. I hope it works out for you. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. You’re gonna love it!
Likes For SuperLJ: