Old 06-18-20, 12:19 PM
AL7000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Are carbon components safe for the average person?

Bought a road bike. The owner adjusted the saddle height for me to test ride and torqued really hard on the seatpost clamp. The seatpost is carbon. Ritchey Carbon Pro 27.2, steel bike frame. Made me cringe watching him crank down on it. Was able to talk the seller down on the price.

When I got home I examined the seatpost. Doesn't appear to have been used with any fiber grip paste. Lots of surface scratches. There is a spot right around where it was clamped that feels kind of flat. Also a slight groove running parallel to the seatpost in the middle of the flat area. Seams to be no deeper than the clear coat. But I could see a crack developing there. If I was to use the seatpost the flat spot/groove would be in the seat tube below the seat clamp a couple of centimeters. However, I just don't trust it.

The seller didn't seem to know or care about torque specifications. The experience made me wonder how safe carbon components are for the average person? Maybe the average person doesn't ever adjust anything on their own and always has the bike shop take care of it for them.