Old 06-20-20, 11:25 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
True.

A close look at the dropout treatment could be definitive. The Mangy frames all used Japan-built sub-assemblies (rear triangles and forks) with domed ends. The 7nn series frames were fully built in Waterloo and had radiused stay ends.
I'll have to talk to you more, John! I just got a 1982 720 that has fantastically thinned lugs. It has the radiused stay and fork blade ends. My 1984 610 does not have those, it has the domed ends exactly as in your photo. Also my original 610 fork was made in Japan and is marked Tange. I presume the fork and rear triangles were Asian-built as well?

Can you say what the thread is for the dropout axle positioner screws? The ones on my bike have the little Trek plastic "knobs" on it, but both should be replaced. One seems seized, the other is ok. If the Campagnolo ones will fit I would prefer to get some of those.

Also, do you have any experience or insight regarding whether a fork with 2 cm more offset will cause any handling problems, working with the long chainstays? I anticipate long rides with light loads, a saddle bag possibly with a front rack bag. Such a fork should also reduce toe interference when I add fenders.