Old 06-21-20, 07:45 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 441 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets
+1 on the tape issue, sometimes thinner tape can help. I usually opt for 2 wraps of tubeless tape, Scotch 8898, other packing tape, etc. Something less than 5 mil. Or maybe a strong 6-7mil tape with only one layer
+2 on trying the thin tape, I believe it may free up just enough slack for the bead to drop down into the rim bed 180 degrees opposite of where you are calmly finessing that tight bead up, and over the rim sidewall.

I would also also ask if you are changing tires barehanded and what brand of tire levers are you using and in what combinations?

I have found that snug fitting leater leather gardening gloves allow me to work with my 3 flat Schalbe tire levers to prevent blistering of my thumbs and give increased leverage to roll a tight bead that last little bit. I think you may also have better luck with 25mm width tires. You may have to try a few different brands/price points until you identify the easy to mount ones that you seek. Technique with tire irons matters too. You can get a super tight bead ready for the final roll by spacing 2 tire levers about 5” apart, levering them part way until you can slip the third tire lever in the middle of the other two then very gingerly (like a person with 3 hands, haha) pop that bead over the last section of hidden rim sidewall. Thicker tire levers like standard Park Tools or Pedro’s don’t work as well here, they are too thick.