View Single Post
Old 06-23-20, 08:39 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,485 Times in 4,187 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
I went to our closest bike shop on Sunday June 21, 2020 and bought inner cable ends for ten cents each, some derailleur cable housing metal ferrules for twenty-nine cents each and some brake cable housing metal ferrules. I got some other stuff and was in a bit of a rush and didn't notice the high price of the brake cable housing metal ferrules. They were $1.49 EACH which I consider to be way to much. I phoned the shop and they said nope, that's there price. I called another nearby ship that I'd forgotten about and the brake cable housing metal ferrules they sell are only twenty-five cents each. These are all Canadian prices. At $1.49 each I feel I got royally ripped off.

Just curious. Does any one else think that $1.49 each for a metal ferrule for brake cable housing is way too much?

Cheers
I am not 100% sure what 2 of the 3 things you bought are, but this all just sounds like the picture of Grandpa Simpson shaking his fist at a cloud.
You have the cable, housing, housing end caps, and cable end caps. What are 'inner cable ends'?

I am guessing the cable housing metal ferrules are what I consider to be housing end caps. There are probably lots of words to describe the little guys. Sure, $1.49 is expensive compared to how much they cost in bulk, but its a store and you pay for the convenience of getting them right away. Or spend the time calling around to get the best price and save all of a few dollars in the end. Or better yet, order 100 of em off ebay or amazon for $7 or so.

Serious question- do you think anyone is getting rich by charging you $1.49 per housing end cap? The store pays rent, employee salary, insurance, and has inventory costs. Maybe they dont think it is worth selling for $.25 and to make the transaction even worth their time, they will charge more.
Maybe they should do something like bundle them in packs of 4 for $2...but then I could see you complaining that you only need 3 and had to pay $.50 for an extra.

I cant imagine paying $.25 for anything from a store at this point- its 2020.
Whatever 'inner cable ends' are, you seem to have gotten a deal on those, so look at the housing caps as an offset to the absurdly low price for the inner cable ends.

The last time I bought some bulk housing from a shop was a few years ago. They threw in the housing stops for free because they cost nothing and come to the store included with housing. The housing was a few dollars per foot though, so the caps are kinda built into that. No, I didnt get upset at the cost because I wanted the housing right away and didnt feel like waiting for it to ship or calling around to multiple shops to save a few bucks.

Likes For mstateglfr: