Old 06-23-20, 09:55 AM
Falconista

Bikes: 1986 Falcon Laser, 2004 Dahon, 2018 Moulton TSR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebikebike View Post
Wheelbuilding, though intimidating, has a much easier entry than you might think. It's my relaxation, and the smaller wheels are easier to true up.
You really just need a screwdriver and spoke wrench, and maybe a beer and set of googled how tos.
Its a skill you pick up as you ride more, if only just at the maintenance level (spoke and truing)
Getting a front derailleur on a foldy not set up from the factory , and keeping it happy, protected and adjusted, is a bigger deal than on a standard diamond frame.
Heel shifting without one is, um, inelegant. Costs for FD+crank+mount run $80, for parts if you shop it.
Greasy finger shifting lacks broad appeal.
My goal was to get a closer set of gears, since you can get a pretty decent gear range without involving the front.
Getting the gear set up with something that suits you on any bike is a degree of customizing that all bike riders should embrace, it's just part of a good fit.
I upgraded my 2004 Dahon D6 (steel frame) to 20 speed using a Shimano Tiagra 2*10 set. I was concerned that getting the front derailleur set up would be a pain but it was, and has remained, pretty trouble free and I can't recall ever adjusting it in the last 6 years or so. Maybe I was lucky. The RD needs more care and attention on mine.

The biggest pain was getting the braze on front derailleur to fit on the after-market clamp fitting. It didn't fit at first, and it took an hour or so with a metal hand file to remove enough of the aluminium from the FD. A small power tool like a dremel would have made short work of it.