Old 06-26-20, 12:36 PM
COYSpurs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sizing for Cannondale Synapse- did I buy too small?

Hey there,

First off, I am new to the forums so looking forward to being in the community. I am also new to the sport of cycling and looking for some help! I am coming from riding a Focus Urban commuter bike and have decided to purchase my first road/endurance bike in a 2020 Cannondale Synapse. The person at the store was not entirely helpful when choosing the size of the bike and told me I could go with a 54 or 56 frame and "could not go wrong with either". Because of this, I had a hard time deciding on the right frame and ultimately chose the 54 for a few reasons:
  • the 56 frame had a huge scratch and he wouldn't discount it at all
  • the 56 felt big and the reach seemed super long. Granted, I've never been on a road bike so the stretched feeling is all new to me.
  • I also realized the 54 is very similar to my current bike and felt more comfortable
  • Lastly, everyone says "you can make a small bike bigger"
I am about 5'9 in height. So far, I've gone on 3 rides each about 1 hour and between 12-15 miles. My main complaint is lower back pain. I can't determine if this is just expected for new riders or if the fit is off.

Do you think this bike is too small for me? I feel like I look too big for the bike and I have the seat post super high. Any suggestions on improving my position or eliminating back pain would be super helpful. Thanks in advance!!!