guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
not really getting the hate. the typical power meter measures force at the cranks (as an aside, not sure how a hub meter works) and converts that to power. this other meter measures the force of air and uses speed/cadence/weight/math to convert to power. just different. it ft really works i think it is pretty cool to be able to accomplish the same thing cheaper. bringing the price point down would open up to more users. just wonder if it is really reliable.
I think the issue is that one is a direct measurement of force - it is consistent and repeatable.

The other is a *calculation* of force, which cannot factor in things like rolling resistance and only estimates things like wind resistance. This may be directionally accurate but it is not even close to being precise enough to do structured power-based training: you might as well just stick to HR, in that case.

What I am waiting for is one of these wind speed sensors that can be paired with a power meter to do A/B drag. Would be a great way to tune my TT position and set up on the fly. I know that some of them are starting to offer this, but from what i gather, it is still not quite ready for primetime and requires far more analysis than my lazy ass could be bothered (if i was winning races, it is one thing - but as mid-pack bantha fodder, there are limits to how far i go for my geekery)

Last edited by guadzilla; 06-26-20 at 09:29 PM.