guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Originally Posted by Metallifan33
I used anti-chafe cream when I used to run more than 5 miles. I've used chamois cream for every ride (and I only ride 90 minutes at a time so far). The other day, I was listening to a podcast and heard guys say that they don't use it every time. I honestly thought everyone used it every time. The podcast host said that using cream every time makes you "too soft" and hindered "building up hardness in the affected skin area." He said he only uses it on longer rides.
This made me wonder if I should back off, so I'm going to start doing recovery rides without and see how it feels.
I've been riding 6 months and luckily haven't had any issues related to saddle sores or chafing.
(somehow I'm a "senior member" on this board now, which is slightly concerning).
I dont know about "building up hardness in the affected skin area" - I am not sure callouses on my taint are something that I want

That said, i dont use chamois cream except on rides of 2.5-3 hours or longer. For my weekly 1-1.5 hour rides, i dont bother.

And to answer the OP - i generally apply a bit in the areas that are prone to rubbing - all over the taint and the crease/inner thighs.