View Single Post
Old 06-28-20, 10:52 PM
johnd01

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rubiksoval
Context always matters, and as such, the context in which I initially replied to you was your assertion that jumping on random people's wheels that passed you benefited your training because you go harder. That's the context.

At the end of the day, you're going to do whatever. My hope is that there is a clear understanding that while you may find such behavior acceptable, many others don't, and that, in general, despite your own personal anecdotes, this is not proper etiquette/behavior. One, for safety concerns for the person you're riding behind, two, for the need for them to now be concerned about your own safety (swerving away from potholes or debris last second, something very commonly done solo, is quite dangerous when not), and three, imposing yourself into their space/activity.

Again, there are meet ups, group rides, and races for those that need to ride with others for "training" or "motivation" or "competition".

If you're cruising to the coffee shop chatting up every person you see at 12 mph, then that's not the issue here. But that wasn't the context of your initial post, nor is it the context of this thread.
The American River Trail is a high volume trail. Anyone who does not want to play can slow down and not play. Anyone who competes is in it for the same reason. They are working on their speed. For years the only people I passed were women with small children.

There was a time that I was going flat out, and I hear this female voice say "on your right", She was in her teens riding a mountain bike with big knobby tires on the dirt shoulder. There was no way for me to go any faster than I was going.

Another time I met a young woman down in her drops flying. A hundred yards later, I went around a corner, and two college-age guys were coasting to a stop. They looked beat and could hardly talk between breaths. One says to the other "I hate it when that happens" and the other guy replied, "It could have been worse, she could have had a kid on the back".

When I jump on the back of a group of riders I back off and leat the lead rider drop into the last position when they switch out. If I can keep up for 5 miles I think I am doing good.