Old 06-29-20, 08:08 AM
Plainsman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by busygizmo View Post
FWIW I was able to fit 700x25 Gatorskins borrowed from someone else's bike onto the Scott so I ordered some Conti GP 5K at that size and they fit almost exactly like the GP 4K 700x23's. Tried some 700x28 Gatorskins and they rub on the back brake bridge so there is the limit.

My bike is going in for an overhaul at my local shop and while there they are going to install a larger cassette, they seem to think an 11-32 will work. I only asked if they could fit an 11-28 and they said the bigger one will fit. We'll see.
FWIW, I also ride a CR1 (great bike, 2014). My only knock on it is the narrow tire clearance. Mine came with 25s on the stock set of wheels, and they rolled fine (Vittoria). I bought some Conti GP4000 25s, and put them on a set of Boyd wheels (wider rim profile), and they rubbed. Went back to 23s, which flare out closer to 25s on the Boyds. It all depends on the tire/rim combo you use. I would say also to check your chainstays after a couple of rides. They may roll smooth on a stand, but that doesn't count for the flex you get while riding on the road.

As far as gearing goes. My prior road bike was set up with a 12-27 in the back (Ultergra 6600), and a 50/34 compact in the front. You can do some pretty good climbing on that. If you are looking to do a wider range 10 speed cassette, SRAM makes a 12-32 cassette, which is what I'm currently running. You can switch out your RD for a Shimano 105 series 5700 GS derailleur which will by default handle the 32 tooth cassette, and can be found online new right now for less than $50. You can also install a Mircoshift RD, which has a large capacity as well. Otherwise the CR1 frames are still light, stiff, and both climb and accelerate well. Good luck!