Old 06-30-20, 06:22 AM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by rch427
1. No idea. The seller is in Yoo-rupp, and English isn't his native tongue, so I don't think I can ask.
2. Probably. But I fold-up for easy storage.
3. I would guess 27.2mm, but I can't be sure.
4. I'd be using Belleri porteur bars, like these:

5. Uh...I'd guess 126mm?
6. It's not a concept to run a 3-speed hub; all of my bikes have 3-speed hubs with coaster brakes. I try to keep them period and country-correct (so the Hetchin's, the Mercian and the DL-1 have Sturmey-Archers, the Rochet has a Fichtel & Sachs, etc.) No modern bits on any of them, at all. I like all of my bikes to be set up exactly the same, so that I don't have to get used to differences between them. Also, I hate derailleurs, I like the clean look of a hub, back-pedaling is an intuitive way to stop, no one tries to steal my wheels, maintenance is a breeze, and so on.
7. I do two kinds of riding: Eroicas, tweed rides and other historic not-very-racy rides, and I ride around San Francisco on days when I don't want to battle traffic, or to go for a loop through Golden Gate Park or the Presidio, around the Embarcadero, etc. That's it. No mountain biking, no racing, no centuries, nothing too dangerous. I'm old, and I've taken a couple of spills that have had left me with permanent issues, including a bum knee. I'm thinking of getting into randonneuring, but that's as competitive and strenuous as I can ever see riding. The specialty function that this bike would have is nothing more or less than to have satisfied my long-time desire to own this "grail bike".

Having said that, I'm capable of appreciating newer bikes. I like the way you've built-up your titanium framed bike, and I respect that you've put so much thought and care into making it work for your purposes.
1) I was curious about the head tube length because although they are proportional for a given size frame, sometimes they are a bit taller such as on a custom frame, this could help with your stem fitting.

2) HaHa - you’re flexible eh?

3) maybe ask your Italian seller the seat post dimension? This way you could start gathering suitable parts. There are Chinese titanium seatposts and stems available on eBay from a seller in China that are custom for very reasonable $ that are just lovely and available with this gentle curvature setback that would not look out of place at all on a classic Colnago Superissimo (just guessing here).

4) The Porteur bars being swept back like that should be an easy fit with your more compact frame making stem selection easier - is my guess.

5/6) OK so let’s say it is 126mm across the inside face of the rear dropouts: I imagine you could make your favorite 3 speed coaster brake hub fit, no problem. You’re a brave person living in hilly San Fran with just 3 gears!

7) Your bum knee might thank you if you change up the script and build your new bike with some derailleurs and a range of gearing, just a thought.

Lastly) thanks for the compliment and the recognition that I put some thought into my build. I seem to be the recipient of more scorn and WTF (?) type reactions from some of my fellow riders. Thanks for your ongoing support BTW nomadmax - you rock! Perhaps I will post a photo of myself riding the compact Veritas so folks can judge for themselves if I look like I’m on a clown bike or not. One day I would like to try one of these Eroica or randoneering events myself. BTW: your fun thread needs a few more clues to keep the readers speculating.

Last edited by masi61; 06-30-20 at 06:29 AM.
Likes For masi61: