View Single Post
Old 07-01-20, 11:55 AM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by masi61
So yesterday I championed on through a pop up thunderstorm with such heavy rainfall that the roads had significant (temporary) flooding that I had to ride through.

My rims are Mavic Open Pro and I previously experienced this where the water flows right in through the spoke ferrules and gets into the rim extrusion interior a bit. I dismounted the tire and I’ve got the wheel mounted in my Park truing stand while I contemplate my next move.

The cotton canvas Velox rim tape is definitely soaked. Would it be sufficient to just let the Velox air dry then remount the tire - or - should I remove the Velox in order to better dry out the rim internals?

I think I know my answer (remove the Velox to air dry the rim better and thus avoid more serious corrosion issues down the line). I’m just curious what others do here.

BTW: I have moved away from Velox rim tape on my other bike, using the thinner, slicker tubeless type rim tape (1 or 2 layers). It seems to give a bit more interior volume to allow latex inner tubes to possibly be more cushiony (might be my imagination though). The tubeless rim tape also seems to allow tighter fitting tires such as Challenge Criterium open tubulars to be more easily mounted.
Velox is good stuff. Leaving the tire/tube installed post ride (assuming the bike is stored in a dry place) may actually help avoid tape shrinkage. On another note, I'm using tubeless compatible Hunt wheels (with tubes) on one of my road bikes and the layered stock plastic rim tape led to interior mold growth due to its lack of breathability. Switched to Velox and the problem went away. I'm in Seattle so it gets pretty wet here...