View Single Post
Old 07-02-20, 04:02 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1783 Post(s)
Liked 1,622 Times in 928 Posts
I know a guy in my Strava feed who got a wicked bubble in the chainstay just aft of the bottom bracket. Cool pictures. It might have something to do with his 400 mile weeks though. From what I hear the frame was replaced under warranty.

My frame was replaced under warranty due to a water bottle boss that loosened up. The jury is out whether I caused it or not.

A guy in my cycling group broke a crank arm 40 miles into a 70 mile ride. He finished by riding with the one good leg. My heart goes out to him for that ride. He refused to get dropped. He said it was "A bit tired" by the time he got done.

I talked with a guy that owned a Scattante (Nashbar/Performance rebranded Fuji.) He had brought the bike into the shop to try for a replacement. The down tube was cracked clean around the midpoint & severed clean. He claims he has never put it on a roof carrier with the hook that secures the bike by grabbing the downtube. I had/have no way to verify his statement.

I have a set of older ZIPP 404's with a few spokes that have pulled from the spoke bed with cracks radiating up towards the brake track.

In spite of my previous experiences (above) I think it's necessary to inject some perspective here.

Like anything, everything has it's limits. Overall, I think consumer products are the highest quality & safest they have ever been. Take any 1950's "high quality" bike...They didn't even have sealed bearings or more than a coaster brake. Meaning constant maintenance, frequent rebuilds & repacking, in spite of their technological simplicity. Constant maintenance, frequent overhauls was just an accepted part of owning anything.

Even the cheapest big-box bikes of today have sealed bearings, a wide range of gears & maintenance is little more than cable tension &/or setting a limit screw. A complete overhaul 1950's style doesn't even enter the equation for modern products like the days of yore. The cost of manufacture & execution is so ridiculously low now, there is little point in going to the expense of repair. Even if cones & bearing balls cost in the single digit number of dollars. You can obtain a new bike that will be servicable for many years for less effort than the time it takes to earn the money required for a shop mechanic to do the task.

I'll take carbon any day of the week. Failures are so exceedingly rare that I fear the risk of becoming jaded by all the modern advances in technology.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2: