genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10105 Post(s)
Liked 2,203 Times in 1,520 Posts
Originally Posted by JonnyHK View Post
What is it?

Looks a lot like some boats that were popular at the sailing club I worked at. Taipan 20-something foot (28 sticks in my mind but I'm not sure).
The 28 is a good guess.

It is a Pacific Seacraft Orion, 27 footer, with a 4 foot bowsprit. LOA 31, LWL 22.5 Cutter rigged by design, by Henry Mohrschladt. This is a 1981. A-layout with the U dinette. She's old, slow, and solid. Cutaway forefoot full keel drawing about 4 feet. I have a 13 HP Yanmar, it was new in 2005. The engine will push her to about 5.2 knots, I have sailed her to just over 7, she is great on a reach, with all cloth flying. (and a hell of a thrill) The foresails all furl, the main just folds down. I tried lazy jacks, but it was just a hassle... the main folds down easily when the track is well lubricated... twice a year, a bit of SailKote does the trick.

I never liked wheels on small boats; she is steered by tiller. I love that responsive feeling. I have an AP, but it came with the boat, and has some issues. I currently rig lines and bungees for longer trips and then just balance the sails to hold course.

I had sailed a number of boats through Harbor Sailboats in San Diego. (I highly recommend them as both a sailing school and charter club) I found boat sizes and features I liked, and started doing some further study... I have sailed boats from 22 feet in length to 54 feet. I find 36-38 foot to be quite perfect... but the economy and ability to easily single hand a 27 footer made the Orion the best choice for me. She is quite comfortable below.

I like the idea of single handing a smaller boat, and the notion of a cutter rig for easy sail handing. I have done some work on her myself, and had all the standing rigging replaced in 2015, along with refinishing the mast. I replaced all her rode in 2014... 100' of chain and 250 of three strand. She has a new VHF with MMSI. Like all vintage boats, I have a long list of repair and maintenance items. She gets hauled once a year... that and slip fees, are my biggest expenses.

I lived aboard for several months in 2015, but currently she is on a private dock in the Salish Sea.

Here is a review... Pacific Seacraft Orion 27