View Single Post
Old 07-05-20, 06:39 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
Looked at the Sheldon string measuring method with string going from dropouts to headtube and measuring string at seat tube. I did that and interestingly it was off just a bit and adding the 1.8 mm spacer to the drive side actually evened things out. That is also about the amount that the dropouts were over the nominal120mm. Lucky coincidence I guess as that suited what I was trying to accomplish anyhow.
I've used strings of various types to layout buildings with plumb-bobs, chalk lines, and such. The margin of error when laying out walls is miniscule but for a bicycle frame, the string method will only give you a general idea, but nothing to inspire confidence.

Originally Posted by sd5782;2 1571058
Back kinda to the rest of the question as to how noticeable the ride is when it is off just a wee bit. I know I rode my old Supersport for decades with the dish off from trying to true it and not knowing any better about 30 years ago as a youngster. Perhaps a heavy bike on old Kendas doesn’t show minor stuff, or I don’t/didn’t have a feel for it. I know just a bit more now and am also willing to learn more too. Of course, an old Schwinn in the flatlands here is a whole different story than flying down a mountain at 40mph on a bit more of a premium bike.
Under normal riding conditions, a frame that is out of alignment won't be noticeable or dangerous, but cruising down a hill at higher speeds could cause the bike to wobble.

Last edited by branko_76; 07-05-20 at 06:48 PM.