Thread: SS Cables ?
View Single Post
Old 07-06-20, 07:07 AM
jgwilliams

Bikes: Dolan Tuono 105 Di2, custom built 653 and 531 bikes with frames by Barry Witcomb, Sonder Dial XT mountain bike and a Brompton folding bike.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Correct so far. The "high alloy" stainless steels you are referring to are the "300-series", generically 18/8 Cr/Ni, the most common of which are 303, 304 and 316. They are high in Cr and Ni content and low in carbon. They are non or only weakly magnetic and can't be heat treated for hardness. As noted they aren't suitable for knives, tools, etc. but are used to make bike cables and spokes and they are very corrosion resistant.

There is a whole family of heat treatable and hardenable cutlery and tool stainless steels, the "400-series" that has been around since the early 1900's. Typical grades are 410, 416, 440, etc. and they that contain 12% or more Cr and up to 1.2% carbon. There are also more exotic Stainless Tool Steels but they aren't commonly found in consumer items. These are used to make knives, tools and other items where hardness and edge keeping ability is required and some corrosion resistant is sacrificed. They are indeed magnetic and strongly so. These are not used for cables or spokes but the 300-series are as noted above.
Very interesting. My degree course was over 40 years ago now so I'm a bit out of touch. I have to point out, though, that I'm British and to us 'early 1900's' is merely old, not antique. I have a set of antique table knives that have corroded quite badly although not uniformly. I also have an old carving set (not sure how old) which has resisted rusting but does have a somewhat corroded appearance rather than the silvery appearance of modern stainless steels. Whether this is actual corrosion or something else I don't know and I've never attempted to clean it up.

Interesting that cables are made from the 300 steels. I guess I'd just made the assumption that if it wouldn't take an edge then it wouldn't be strong enough for cables. Just goes to prove that assumption makes an ass of u and mption.